Powered By Blogger

Monday, April 21, 2014

Boston Strong

So it definitely has been a long time, but today seemed to be the perfect day to write. Today was Patriot's Day and the Boston Marathon. I wanted to be part of this huge event and decided I would go for the first time.
I walked through the Commons and the Garden on my way to Boylston St. People were everywhere and were so happy of the day. All the Boston Strong shirts and hats, Red Sox gear everywhere. It was showing how strong Boston Strong actually means. People were not going to be scared and back down. They came out in full force to show their support for the 36,000 runners who were all running for a cause.
As I found my way through the crowd, I set up my spot at the finish line. Not realizing where I was standing was the exact location of the first bomb of last year. No one was intimidated of being there. People being proud to be from Boston and representing their city. Cheering for everything. The electricity flowed through the air and the race had barely even started. Little did I know I was standing right next to the Governor for a period of time. He was shorter than I anticipated hence why I didn't know that was him haha.
As the first wave of racers came through, the wheel chair racers, it was just a privilege of being there. Watching them finish one after another. Meanwhile keeping an eye on the two leaders of the women's and men's elite group, both Americans. As the women got closer, the American was off the pace, but that didn't stop the crowd from showing their support for the leader. The crowds got louder and louder, cheering for everyone. Then the men got closer. And Meb, an American was leading by almost a minute. All of a sudden it was down to 6 seconds. The crowd was going insane for Meb to be the first American to win in over 30 years. As he was finishing the chants of U-S-A was being screamed by everyone.  As the national anthem was being played, tears were flowing by many. It seemed like the perfect ending.
It was such an honor to be part of this event, and to be in the location I was in. Watching runners help one another cross the finish line who were struggling was a very touching sight. I definitely got the experience I was looking for. I congratulate each and everyone of those 36,000 people who finished. They proved the Boston Strong philosophy exists and isn't just a phrase.


No comments:

Post a Comment